Sunday, October 10, 2010

error message: GUI framework cannot be initialized

I just did a fresh install of MiKTeX (basic version) and TeXnicCenter. Originally I selected "Ask me first" for the "Install missing packages on-the-fly" option and I received the "pdflatex.exe: GUI framework cannot be initialized." error. But, even after selecting "Yes" for the option, I still received the error. 

My solution - what worked for me - was to open a command prompt, `cd` into the directory containing my LaTeX file, and execute `latex` on the file. (Note: I still had "Yes" selected for the install-on-the-fly option.) `latex` installed a missing package (`translator`), and generated a DVI file. I was then able to use TeXnicCenter's "Build current file" and "Build and view current file" commands without receiving the error.

No comments:

Post a Comment